Brighton Holistics freelance tutor information, selection criteria terms and fees agreement.
Company: Brighton Holistics is a Limited Company trading as Brighton Holistics the company registration number is 06890213, our VAT number is GB332447907.
Company Directors: Jon Matson-Higgins & Ryan Matson-Higgins
Location: Brighton Holistics, 206 Warren Road, Brighton, BN26DD.
Role title: Freelance tutor for Brighton Holistics.
Role purpose: To train learners in the skills, knowledge and attitudes needed to work within the Complementary Therapy and Beauty Therapy industry.
- To deliver Brighton Holistics training courses in accordance with specified learning objectives and course programme materials.
- To actively implement Brighton Holistics equality and diversity policies and to promote good practice consistent with Brighton Holistics aims, principles and policies.
- To provide support to participants, including facilitating self-assessment of their learning and contributing to their personal development through challenging and feedback.
- To liaise with Brighton Holistics Administration Office regarding difficulties on the course.
- To feedback issues with the course to the Brighton Holistics Administration and participate in specified evaluation activities to develop and improve the course.
- To comply with Brighton Holistics policies and procedures laid down by Brighton Holistics, The awarding body and accreditation body. These can be found in the Brighton Holistics Administration Office.
- To attend meetings and training relevant to the role of freelance tutor as appropriate.
- To take responsibility for your own continuing professional development including maintaining competence as specified by Brighton Holistics and the Accrediting Bodies, Tutor Competences and subject knowledge as appropriate.
Brighton Holistics freelance tutor selection criteria
- Knowledge of and commitment to the aims & principles of the Brighton Holistics and up to date knowledge of the Holistic and Beauty industry.
- An understanding of discrimination, equality and diversity issues and an ability to work with learners to promote their understanding of these and to demonstrate effective supporting and challenging techniques where necessary.
- A commitment to delivering quality assured training and contributing to the continual improvement of the courses in a structured way in accordance with Brighton Holistics evaluation processes.
- In-depth knowledge of the principles of adult learning and the range of approaches and methods involved in delivering effective training to adult learners.
- Experience and understanding of facilitating groups in an inclusive way using a range of presentation and training resources to meet a range of learning styles. This includes using data projectors, overhead projectors and computer equipment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and a commitment to working in a professional manner to resolve problems and achieve tasks.
- Hold a minimum of an AET (formally PTLLS level 3/4 qualification) or show that you are working towards this qualification. This is an accreditation and insurance requirement.
- Hold a minimum of Emergency First Aid at work level 3 (first aid for therapists) or show that you are working towards this qualification. This is an accreditation and insurance requirement.
- A commitment to keeping your skills and knowledge current and providing Brighton Holistics with evidence to demonstrate this. This is an accreditation and insurance requirement.
- Tutors must be a full member of the FHT and registered to teach. This will form part of your insurance and ours. A copy of your membership and insurance must be given to Brighton Holistics each year.
- Access to and ability to use a computer, internet and e-mail.
Freelance tutor main terms and fees
Our aim is to maintain a varied and highly skilled list of freelance tutors who can deliver high-quality skills and/or subject-based training. We may also from time to time want to commission tutors to design and develop courses and other training materials or be involved in other learning and development activities. Tutors will be included in the Brighton Holistics freelance tutor database after successfully undertaking a selection interview and assessment of competence to deliver Brighton Holistics courses. We will periodically observe courses to assess on-going competence. Brighton Holistics cannot guarantee a specific number of contracted training courses due to the nature of the business; Brighton Holistics also does not pay maternity pay or sick pay.
The main terms are:
- You and Brighton Holistics enter the agreement on the clear understanding that you are self-employed, contracted for the training activities and not employed by Brighton Holistics Ltd.
- You are contracted to deliver Brighton Holistics quality assured courses and should not amend or adapt without the express permission of the Brighton Holistics Administration Office.
- You are not allowed to use any Brighton Holistics training materials when you work for other organisations including courses contracted separately, without the explicit permission from the Principal of Brighton Holistics or his nominated representative in writing. Verbal communication will not be accepted. All documentation and training materials are covered under the United Kingdom copyright law. Legal proceedings will be brought against anybody who breaks this law.
- Brighton Holistics Training manuals cannot be reproduced without the explicit permission from the Principal of Brighton Holistics or his nominated representative in writing. Verbal communication will not be accepted.
- If this agreement is terminated for any reason all manuals and property of Brighton Holistics must be returned forthwith, along with any monies owed.
- A training manual will be given to you with copies of course documentation, If manuals are lost or misplaced then the tutor will be required to pay £200 per course to replace the training file. Please note this is per course and not per course file.
- You must adhere to the aims, principles and policies of Brighton Holistics, in particular quality and diversity policies, in the presentation of all programmes and materials used.
- In order to monitor the effectiveness of the training, Brighton Holistics may at its discretion send an assessor to observe any training programme that is delivered.
- The freelance tutor must hold full membership to the Federation of Holistic Therapists and be a practising therapist with a minimum of three years’ experience in the industry. *If you have less than three years’ experience in the industry, permission will need to be granted from the accrediting bodies before you can teach. This doesn’t mean that you cannot take up a freelance teaching potion here at Brighton Holistics; the options will be discussed with you beforehand.
- Ability to plan and manage your time so that you are properly prepared to deliver the course, deal with any issues that arise on the day and manage the course timings effectively.
- Tutors are required to be at Brighton Holistics at 10am till 5pm, tutors are paid for this duration including the lunch break. Course times are 10.30 till 4.30. Tutors are to be in the treatment room at 10.15 to make the learners welcome drinks (tea and coffee). Your time from 10am to 10.15am is to prepare the treatment room, making sure that everything is in place for the training day. If you are running late for any reason you must notify the Brighton Holistics Administration Office.
- Tutors are not permitted to leave learners unattended. A tutor must always be on the property of Brighton Holistics. This is a health and safety requirement. If the main house is closed, then tutors are permitted to use the Brighton Holistics Administration Office during break times.
- Tutors are to notify the administration office if you require any equipment or products. This is the tutors responsibility. This is to be completed via the Feedback and Payment form.
- The tutors are responsible for making sure that the treatment room is clean and tidy before the course and after a course.
Please make sure that:
General roles during a training day
- The Tea and coffee facilities are topped up
- That all cups and glasses have been placed in the dishwasher and that the dishwasher has been turned on.
- Any laundry is placed into the washing machine and turned on, please note that we do not offer towels to learners if they have forgotten them then it is their responsibility to go and buy some at lunchtime or request that the model bring some.
- The toilet facilities are clean and that a toilet cleaner has been used after each training day. Please also make sure that toilet roll isn’t empty.
- That all flooring is clean and tidy, a hoover can be found in the Administration Office.
- That all bins (treatment room, toilet and office) are emptied and placed in the main bin by the entrance gate and that the bin liner is replaced.
- Brighton Holistics Administration office will email the tutor before the course with a list of learners, this list will give you their name, telephone number and any special needs. If you need to phone a learner, please use the phone in the office. This information is to be destroyed after the course, due to data protection. Anybody who breaks the data protection policy will have their contract terminated. This is an accreditation requirement. A shredder can be found within the Brighton Holistics Administration office. Please note this only applies if the Principal of Brighton Holistics or his nominated representative are away. If one or both is present, then a class list will be given to you at the start of the day.
- Tutors need to know how the Brighton Holistics Portal works and have a clear understanding so that if a learner asks a question you can answer it. The system we use is called Moodle, Moodle is used across all education levels and is extremely easy to use. We wall the system the Brighton Holistics Learners Portal.
- For those tutors who teach on qualification courses, you will be given access to the Brighton Holistics Learners portal, as a non-editing tutor for the course you are teaching. it is extremely important that before each tutorial day that you log onto the system and check that each learner is at the correct stage of their course. It is the tutor’s responsibility to make sure that learners are on top of their course and coursework any problems need to be reported back to the Brighton Holistics Administration office via the Feedback and Payment form.
- For those tutors who use Apple products, we can share your diary with you if you wish. Dates will also be given to tutors in paper form and are viewable on the Brighton Holistics website.
- It is the tutors responsibility to notify Brighton Holistics Administration office of any dates they are not available.
- Brighton Holistics will notify you when we are starting to work on the dates for the following academic year.
- Please make sure all date change requests are completed by email.
- It is not the responsibility of Brighton Holistics to manage the tutors diary.
- Please note that tutors are not permitted to wear their own branded uniforms when training at Brighton Holistics. If you wish to wear a Brighton Holistics branded uniform this can be arranged, Brighton Holistics will pay for the branding but not for the clothes. You are expected to be in therapy dress when teaching, ideally black, jeans or revealing clothes will not be accepted.
- You can wear your FHT Membership badge and Brighton Holistics will supply you with a name badge.
Learners outstanding payments
- Any outstanding payments or product purchases from learners must be paid for by invoice or if paying in cash then a payment form needs to be completed and placed in the drop safe found in the Brighton Holistics Administration Office.
- During your training if you wish to demonstrate any additional reading materials or learning aids, this is no problem, if you want to leave any material here at Brighton Holistics the tutors do so at their own risk. Items can be left in the administration office, but please be mindful it’s not a dumping ground. If any books are taken from the Brighton Holistics Library, it is the tutors responsibility to make sure that all books are accounted for at the end of each training day.
Class preparation and Teaching
- It’s vital the tutor is 100% confident in the class they are teaching. The PowerPoint presentation is a prompt. It is not reading material. We do not expect a tutor just to stand there and read the PowerPoint. You must be extremely confident and knowledgeable in the treatment and course you are delivering. You must make sure that you 100% prepared for each training day. Lesson plans and schedule of work shave all been created for all our courses. Brighton Holistics takes responsibility for all course work marking.
- If for some reason a training day finishes early for any reason, the time is to be made up by the tutor giving the learner a treatment or learners giving each other a treatment. Learners are paying to be here from 10.30 till 4.30. Unless it’s a half-day course from 10.30 till 2pm.
- If you have an odd number of students on your course, it is down to you as the tutor to work out how to maximise the learning experience. Using a member of the Brighton Holistics team takes our time away from other work that needs to be completed. This can then have a knock-on effect in terms of our admin. The only time this will be allowed, is if a student has expressly requested a model from us and we are unable to find anyone else for them to use.
- Periodically tutors will be mystery shopped, this is nothing to worry about, purely to make sure that standards are being delivered. This is an accreditation requirement and is carried out by the accreditor. Brighton Holistics never knows when this is taking place. When we receive the report if there are any issues which need addressing these will be discussed with the relevant tutor.
- Periodically the tutor will be required to print off paperwork for learners, these are only fairly small documents, made up of 1 to 5 pages.
- If you are assessing a course the assessment form is completed online which is then submitted and sent through to the external assessor and the Brighton Holistics administration office and the IQA.
- All Level 3 and Level 4 and 5 assessment are filmed, which limits the time the external assessor and IQA have to visit, this also makes the assessment less intimidating.
- If any additional training days are required for learners, this needs to be authorised by the Brighton Holistics Administration Office.
Tutor website links
- If a tutor wishes to add a link from their website to the Brighton Holistics website this can be arranged, Brighton Holistics will then precipitate the return link
Data protection breaches
- Any tutor who breaches the data protection policy will be liable for any data protection fine issued from the Information Commissioner Office, regardless of the amount.
Gaining entry into Brighton Holistics
- Gaining Access into Brighton Holistics. The tutor will be access to the key safe and the have access to the following keys: –
- Gate key top lock
- Gate key bottom lock
- Treatment room front door
- Treatment room second front door
- Office door.
- House back porch key
- House back door key
If any keys are lost it will be the responsibility of the tutor to pay for all replacements locks and keys to be replaced.
If the tutor fails to secure the treatment room at the end of a training day and the alarm is activated the tutor will be responsible for the alarm monitoring services to deactivate the alarm.
Please note the alarm systems sends a text message when it is activated and deactivated.
- At no time are tutors permitted to bring pets of any sort into the grounds or buildings of Brighton Holistics. This is a breach of Health and Safety and leads to a number of issues of learner welfare and wellbeing. Guide dogs and assistance dogs are permitted for learners. If this is the case, it is the tutors responsibility to make sure that fresh water is available for the dog.
Rates of pay:
- Rates of pay are the same for all freelance tutor.
- Payments will be made by bank transfer. Invoice payments will not be paid in cash.
- Freelance tutors are responsible for their tax and national insurance contributions; this does not fall under the responsibility of Brighton Holistics. If Brighton Holistics are investigated through the negligence of the freelance tutor tax affairs, the tutor will be responsible for any account’s investigation cost accrued/charged to Brighton Holistics for this investigation. If the freelance tutor is found guilty of tax avoidance this agreement with immediate effect.
- Freelance tutors must supply Brighton Holistics with their unique Self-employment registration number and their national insurance number.
- Brighton Holistics will not pay holiday pay, maternity pay, paternity pay or sick pay under any circumstance.
- At the end of each training day, it is the responsibility of the Tutor to email the Brighton Holistics Administration office a Tutors feedback and Payment form. This needs to be completed after each training day, including tutorial days. This is an accreditation requirement and is extremely important. The feedback form also acts as your invoice, you will be requested to enter your bank sort code and account number and your own reference number. The link to the feedback form is: https://www.brightonholistics.co.uk/feedback-formtutors/
- All payments will be made within 14 days of receipt.
- Any out of pocket expenses should be added to the feedback and payment form, i.e. milk, coffee, tea or products which you have been authorised to purchase.
- Any training not already booked with Brighton Holistics will be subsidised by 50%. If you leave Brighton Holistics for any reason within 2 years of the course completion/assessment day the remaining 50% must be paid. If you leave midway through a course, then full payment must be made.
Freelance tutors will not at any time during your employment at Brighton Holistics, disclose to any person any information as to the business, dealings, practice, accounts, finances, trading, software, know-how, affairs of the practice of any of the learners/clients or prospective learners/clients, distributors, firms or companies otherwise connected with the Brighton Holistics. All information held about the Brighton Holistics or in connection with the Brighton Holistics and any of the above is to be regarded as confidential. All notes, memoranda, records and other documents of Brighton Holistics and in your possession are and shall remain the property of Brighton Holistics and shall be handed over by you to the Brighton Holistics from time to time on demand and, in any event, upon the termination of your contract. You should understand that any breach of this clause would constitute a very serious disciplinary offence for which you may be dismissed. Should you breach this clause after your employment has ended, the organisation may take legal action against you. Any tutor who breaches the data protection policy will be liable for any data protection fine issued from the Information Commissioner Office, regardless of the amount.
Conflict of Interest
If a conflict or risk of a conflict of interest arises, the freelance tutor will immediately give notice of the conflict of interest or the risk of it, to Brighton Holistics Administration Office and will demonstrate measures to ensure the situation is managed to avoid any adverse effect.
If Brighton Holistics notifies the freelance tutor that the conflict of interest is unacceptable (whether at the time the conflict is first notified or subsequently) and the freelance tutor does not resolve the matter forthwith (time being of the essence) to the satisfaction of the Brighton Holistics Administration Office, then the Brighton Holistics Management shall be entitled to terminate this agreement with immediate effect.
Communication with Learners
Learners are clients of Brighton Holistics and not the freelance tutor. Swapping of personal information, such as contact details or other places of work is prohibited as this falls under data protection and conflict of interest. Any Communication regarding the course must come through the Brighton Holistics Administration Office. This is an accreditation requirement. Brighton Holistics will supply tutors with generic business cards with the Brighton Holistics contact details on, any question must come through the Brighton Holistics Administration office. This is an accreditation and data protection requirement. Brighton Holistics works on a 4-hour turn around policy on email and telephone communication during office hours. It is extremely important that tutors do NOT cross the boundary, learners do not need to know the tutors private affairs.
Offering Treatments to Learners Outside of Brighton Holistics
Brighton Holistics offers full treatment facilities; therefore, tutors will not be allowed to see learners as clients outside of Brighton Holistics without the express permission of Brighton Holistics Administration. This is a conflict of interest.
Brighton Holistics asks that you are mindful of the images and statements you place on social media as learners do search to find the background of freelance tutors. If you have personal pictures and derogative or negative status updates this can be detrimental to Brighton Holistics, the accrediting bodies as well as your own business. Brighton Holistics strongly advise that your personal social media is restricted to friends and family only. As stated in the conflict of interest and communication with learners befriending learners on social media is not permitted.
Data Protection and Freedom of Information Statement of Brighton Holistics
- Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully.
- Personal data shall be obtained for one or more specified and lawful purposes and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.
- Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.
- Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.
- Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
- Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under the Data Protection Act 1998, and the GDPR May 2018.
Health and Safety Policy Statement of Brighton Holistics
Our statement of general policy is:
- To provide adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from our work activities.
- To consult with our employees and learners on matters affecting their health and safety.
- To provide and maintain safe equipment.
- To ensure safe handling and use of substances.
- To provide information, instruction and supervision for employees.
- To ensure all employees and learners are competent to do their tasks and to give them
- To prevent accidents and cases of work-related ill-health.
- To maintain safe and healthy working conditions, and to review and revise this policy as necessary at regular intervals.
Equal Opportunities Statement of Brighton Holistics
In accordance with the Equal Pay Act 1970, the Sex Discrimination Act 1975, the Race Relations Act 1976 and the Disability Discrimination Act 1996, it is the Company’s policy not to discriminate on the grounds of sex, sexual orientation, race, colour, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, marital status or disability.