Brighton Holistics FAQ’s

Frequently Asked Questions

Over the years, we at Brighton Holistics have been asked many questions about our Courses. Below we’ve listed those most frequently asked for your convenience. If your question isn’t answered here, then please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Frequently asked questions regarding Brighton Holistics.

I’ve called Brighton Holistics a few times but keep getting your answering machine? 

We don’t have a receptionist so during busy times we may not be able to come to the phone. If you leave a message we will always call you back, please make sure you leave your number.

When should I turn up for my course? 

Ideally no earlier than 5-10 minutes before the course or treatment start time. All courses start at 10.30am and finish around 4.30pm.

Where can I park?

When your course is confirmed you will receive a “Welcome Manual” which will inform you where you need to park.

What is the preferred payment method? 

Payments need to be made before your training day as detailed within the “Booking Terms and Conditions. Due to this our preferred payment method is with a card, or via PayPal.

Frequently asked questions regarding Training at Brighton Holistics.

Which complementary therapy should I learn?

There are many different styles of complementary therapies, the most recognised being massage, reflexology, and aromatherapy. Massage is probably the best first qualification to get as it is often a pre-requisite to further qualifications and courses.

Is the course awarded by a nationally recognised awarding body?

It is very important to choose a course that leads to a nationally recognised qualification, awarded by an accredited awarding body. We offer nationally recognised qualifications from the International Therapy Examination Council (ITEC), Training Charitable Trust (VTCT) and FHT as they are a specialist awarding body in Beauty, Complementary Therapies, and Active Leisure.

Are the course lecturers fully qualified? 

Our lecturers hold teaching qualifications and have professional qualifications in all the subject areas that they teach. All the training staff at Brighton Holistics are registered full members of Federation of Holistics Therapists (FHT) and are also regulated by the Accredited Voluntary Register (AVR) by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA) or Health and Social Care.

Will, I be able to work professionally after the course? 

As long as you choose a course that is awarded by a recognised awarding body and successfully complete the course you will be able to join the UK’s voluntary regulatory body and / or professional association and obtain their insurance in order to practice professionally.

I want to work overseas; will the qualification be recognised in other countries?

There is no such thing as an International qualification. Each country, and sometimes States within countries, set their own levels for vocational competence. Even an awarding body which has International in their name can still only award qualifications that are recognised within the UK.

Any qualification awarded by a recognised awarding body will, however be recognised by another country to some degree. In order to have a qualification recognised in another country you will usually be required to approach a school or professional association in the country that you are looking to work in and go through a process known as Accredited Prior Learning (APL). This process requires that you show details of the course that you studied as well as further courses you have studied as Continuing Professional Development (CPD) since qualifying. The school / association will then decide what you need to do to meet their national requirements.

Can I obtain Professional Insurance cover after the course? 

All approved Federation of Holistics Therapists (FHT) courses are fully insurable by all the leading therapy insurance companies. Student insurance is also available so you can start working on clients at home as you are learning. This is offered through FHT Student insurance and we will offer you detailed advice during your induction programme. You don’t have to use FHT for insurance, there are a number of other insurance companies you can use.

Please note that online courses are knowledge-based courses and not practical based courses, knowledge-based courses are not insurance. This doesn’t mean you can’t add the knowledge you have learnt into your current portfolio of therapies.

Do you offer discounts on your courses?

Our prices are as low as we can make them meaning we can’t offer any discounts for multiple bookings.

Due to small classes, we cannot offer discounts as our courses are already very good prices.

We are not the most expensive and we are not the cheapest when it comes to courses, be aware of companies offering block course booking discounts as you get what you pay for.

Can you squeeze another student on a course which is showing as full?

We are sorry we cannot do this; we must stick to the advertised numbers due to specialising in small classes.

Will, I get plenty of practice on the course?

On short courses, you will receive three hours of practical time, here at Brighton Holistics. As training is given in small groups, learners will be required to bring a model for each day of the training course, for you to practice the treatment on. Learners do not practice treatments on each other as this reduces the learning time by half. The model would not be required until 1.30pm each day for the practical section. Please note that models are NOT permitted to sit through theory sessions.

On Level 3 courses learners will practice on each other, giving plenty of practical experience.

What should I wear to the course?

We do not expect you to wear a therapy uniform, but if you have one and wish to wear it that is fine. However, clothing should be comfortable and appropriate, therefore tight fitting or revealing clothing will not be suitable.

Jewellery (except wedding rings) should be removed, so for safekeeping we recommend that you leave most jewellery at home.

Hair must be secured away from the face. Nails should be short, without varnish or extensions.

I just want to learn to massage and don’t want to work professionally… 

Qualifications inevitably include subject areas that are vocationally related such as Anatomy & Physiology, and Health & Safety. These are essential units for professional practice, but can put off potential students who would just like to learn how to perform a therapy for friends or family.

Even in the scenario there are obvious benefits to completing the entire qualification including all of the units. However, it is possible to join a nationally recognised course, and just complete the practical unit. You can still gain the award for the unit achieved, however without the other units you will not gain the full Certificate or Diploma, and you will not be able to work professionally.

What is the difference between the Brighton Holistics and a traditional College of Further Education? 

We run short intensive courses, with small classes, enabling the students to complete theory packages in home time. Further Education Colleges complete these courses in mainly full-time classes with large numbers of students that need direction in behaviour and work completion.

Do I have to take an exam at the end of the course? 

Yes, you will be required to complete a mandatory written question paper (this may now be online) you will also be required to complete assignments and case studies at home to build up your portfolio. The Papers are often multiple choice. Your final practical assessments will be taken at Brighton Holistics, Brighton. Short courses do not require a final assessment.

How will I be assessed? 

We operate a system of continual assessment in both theoretical and practical aspects, monitoring your progression throughout your course; assessments take place in our treatment rooms.

Do I need to bring anything? 

Please bring a cold lunch with you (e.g. sandwiches, salad, etc.); we do not have any food preparation areas for the heating up of food, but we do have refrigeration facilities. Please avoid bringing food that has strong aromas as this is not only a training room, but also a treatment room.

  • Please bring some flip lops with you to wear around the treatment room.
  • Refreshments such as tea, fruit teas, coffee and water are all provide

Please also bring four large bath towels and one hand towel, these will be used by yourself during the practical training session.

Towels will not be required if you are attending the following courses: –

  • First Aid
  • Seated Chair
  • Indian Head
  • Reiki courses
  • Soft Tissue Dysfunction
  • Working with Pre-Blended Oils

Refreshments such as tea, fruit teas, coffee and water are all provided. Pens and paper are supplied.

What about Models?

If your course requires you to bring a model, you will need to supply your own model (information on what courses require models can be found on the Booking Terms and Conditions page). The model would not be required until 1.15pm each day for the practical session. Please note that models are NOT permitted to sit through theory sessions. The reason for this is that the model can become a distraction to the other learners. It is the responsibility of the learner to supply the model NOT Brighton Holistics. Please note models must be over the age of 16.

If you cannot bring your own model, models may be able to be supplied at a cost of £20 per day, with sufficient prior notice (14 days).

I have educational needs; will I be able to take the course? 

It is extremely important that the information you give us is complete and correct. If you require any help with learning, this needs to be declared at the time of booking. If you have an Educational Report Statement or an Educational Health Care Report/Plan, outlining your learning needs, this needs to be submitted prior to starting the course, so that the relevant help and support can be discussed and put in place. If we are not able to facilitate your requirements, we will work with you to help try find a suitable training school which will be able to facilitate your requirements.

English is not my first language; will I be able to take the course? 

If English is not your first language and you feel that you may have difficulties understanding parts of the course, please discuss this with us prior to the course so that we can help to make it as beneficial as possible for you. Please note that all training material is produced in English.

Will, I get a manual and certificate?

Training manuals will be downloadable to each learner via their online learning portal. These manuals will be available to download for 60 days once your course has started. It will be the learner’s responsibility to download and save the training manuals within this time. Manuals can be read on all devices.  Certification for your course will be emailed to you once you have met the learning outcomes.

Can men attend your courses? 

Yes of course, everyone is welcome!

Why should I choose Brighton Holistics? 

At Brighton Holistics we are passionate about the industry and the quality of training you will receive reflects our commitment to you and the industry. You will leave us with confidence, ready for the next stage in your career knowing you have been trained to the highest standard.

Who are FHT?

The Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT) is the largest and leading professional association for therapists in the UK and Ireland.

Brighton Holistics recommends joining the FHT and taking out their insurance as they are the largest professional association for complementary therapists and will cover you for multi disciplines, and allow you to be registered on the Professional Standards Authority (PSA) accredited register.

The Professional Standards Authority is an independent body accountable to Parliament, and oversees the UK’s nine statutory health and care regulatory bodies, including the General Medical Council and Nursing and Midwifery Council. It launched its Accredited Register programme under the Health and Social Care Act 2012, to accredited voluntary registers of professionals working in a variety of health and social care occupations that are not statutorily regulated, such as complementary therapy.

Who are IFPA?

The International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists (IFPA) is the largest aromatherapy specific professional practitioner organisation in the UK, involved in supporting aromatherapists  and improving standards of education and practice in aromatherapy. We are now growing internationally by encouraging and supporting aromatherapy training in many other countries.

What is the difference between Certificate and Diploma?

Diplomas and certificates are awarded by accredited schools and colleges, to students who complete a course of study. These documents certify that the candidate has successfully completed the course, but they differ in a few aspects.

Certificates are issued by a school after attending an accredited course.

Diplomas provide more in-depth knowledge of the course you are studying and are of a longer duration than certificates. This normally entails completing case studies or reflective practice, attending an assessment etc.

When it comes to course fee, usually diploma fees are a little higher than certificate fees. That is because the diploma course takes longer and contains more admin i.e. marking, than a certificate course.

When it comes to employability, diplomas are more widely accepted than certificates. Sure, a certificate says you have some knowledge about a field, but diploma says you have an extensive knowledge about a field. Therefore, employers prefer diplomas to certificates.

However, the situation becomes confusing when some schools name their certification programs as diplomas. When faced with such a situation, it is important to make sure that your professional body and insurance recognise the course.  Also, you can check for the duration, fees, and course work of the course to decide which path best suits you and your therapy portfolio.

What’s the difference between ITEC, VTCT, FHT, and IFPA? 

We offer four routes for qualifications, ITEC, VTCT, FHT, and IFPA.

ITEC and VTCT are the Government approved Awarding Bodies. ITEC and VTCT and now the same company.

FHT qualifications taught at Brighton Holistics follow the National Occupational Standards and Core Curricula in the UK, and the largest and leading professional association for complementary, beauty and sports therapy.

IFPA is the largest aromatherapy specific professional practitioner organisation in the UK, involved in supporting aromatherapists and improving standards of education and practice in aromatherapy.

The reason for working with four very high-profile organisations is to give you the learner the best options to suit your requirements.

The courses follow the same format, but the final assessment process is different.

What does VTCT mean? 

The Vocational Training Charitable Trust (VTCT) is a recognised awarding organisation and is listed as such here on the Ofqual register of regulated qualifications.

Ofqual regulates qualifications, examinations and assessments in England and vocational qualifications in Northern Ireland. It is their responsibility to ensure all learners get the results they deserve and that their qualifications are correctly valued and understood, now and in the future.

VTCT qualifications are an international, not just UK based.

What does Ofqual mean? 

Ofqual is responsible for maintaining standards, improving confidence and distributing information about qualifications and examinations. We regulate general and vocational qualifications in England and vocational qualifications in Northern Ireland.

What is the difference between City & Guilds, ITEC, CIBTAC, and VTCT? 

To answer the question simply…. Nothing!

Under new legislation all Awarding Organisations for NVQ type qualifications offer the same credit value, same course content, same GLH and same purpose. Therefore, each qualification using these criteria should be exactly the same for each Awarding Organisation.

What is the difference between ITEC and VTCT? 

The Vocational Training Charitable Trust (VTCT) announced that, as of 8 November 2016, it has acquired EMS Limited which trades as ITEC.

Currently, VTCT’s assessment model is based on the competency model and continuous assessment, meaning that the centre provides the assessors. This means that the centre has more control over the assessment process and total input into the assessment decisions. An internal verifier quality assures the process and VTCT externally samples 10% of the assessments.

The VTCT model is based on trust and is reliant on the integrity of the centre and their assessors. VTCT and education centres work in partnership to quality assure the course.

ITEC is 100% externally examined and so the centre has no input whatsoever in the assessment decisions which are made based on practical and written examinations at the end of the course, conducted by an ITEC External Examiner.

As of October 1st 2015, Ofqual, the regulator, have made changes to the framework that regulated qualifications. Regulated qualifications, will have RQF (Regulated Qualification Framework) on the end instead of QCF (Qualifications Credit Framework).

All RQF qualifications are written collaboratively by all awarding bodies and VTCT and ITEC work very closely together, so our qualifications are identical.

The assessment model is the defining factor (i.e. if you want continuous assessment) – VTCT or if you want an end loaded external examinations – ITEC.

Many centres choose to offer both VTCT and ITEC as they complement each other very well.

So really it is down to your preference, it’s a bit like the Coke and Pepsi scenario.

Some people like Coke and some like Pepsi, some people like ITEC and some VTCT.

Both qualifications are internationally recognised.